Africa-focused fund managers can save up to 31% by choosing this leading jurisdiction
The key attributes of Africa’s leading jurisdiction for investment funds
Africa’s leading International Financial Centre puts forward many key attributes that attract interest from investors and corporates, including fund managers, all around the world. These include:
- Most business-friendly and investment-friendly country in Africa (World Banks);
- A diversified and stable economy;
- Hybrid legal system, combining the advantages of English Common and French Civil laws;
- A Rule of law and political stability;
- No exchange control, no Withholding Tax, No Capital Gains Tax;
- Secure and reliable investment destination (risk-mitigating platform);
- Cost-effective solutions: very affordable outsourcing destination;
- A pool of bilingual (English and French) and skilled workforce;
- Extensive network of bilateral agreements (DTAAs and IPPAs);
- Strategic geographical location between Africa and Asia and convenient time zone (GMT+4);
- Member of the SADC, COMESA, African Union, IORA; and
- An innovative listing and capital-raising platform.
How using this jurisdiction adds value to Africa-focused fund managers
The core objective of a fund manager (also referred to as ‘General Partners’) is to achieve the highest possible shareholder return on investment whilst satisfying investor reporting requirements and stringent regulatory requirements. The main challenges they face when setting up a Fund are choosing the most appropriate jurisdiction and selecting a cost effective vehicle, both of which are critical to optimising their operating costs and maximising return on investment.
Headquartered in Mauritius, Sunibel Corporate Services has helped clients who have faced and are facing similar situations as fund managers, and understands these challenges. Furthermore, being present in multiple countries allows us to quickly and efficiently analyse the advantages and disadvantages of settling for a jurisdiction. We look at ourselves as partners to a project rather than just being a service provider.
Sunibel Corporate Services is driven by a best-fit approach. We help Africa-focused fund managers mitigate the operational risk through our specialised fund accounting, transfer agency and compliance teams’ expertise. Our advanced technology helps fund managers meet investors’ expectations for independent and timely reporting. As fund managers continue to face margin pressures, outsourcing their fund administration to Mauritius, with Sunibel, is an attractive alternative.
- Private Equity Fund Administrator: His role and duties
- Corporate relocation: why and how to relocate your company to Mauritius
- Choosing the right Private Equity Fund structure for your investments
A well-regulated and compliant jurisdiction, well-known among fund managers
The OECD recently indicated Mauritius does not have any harmful practices in its tax regimes, fulfilling all the requirements of the BEPS Action 5. In addition, it was found being fully compliant with EU tax good governance principles and was removed from the list of jurisdiction considered to be acting as tax havens by the Council of the European Union.
The jurisdiction is fully compliant with FATCA and CRS. Furthermore, being compliant with the Financial Action Task Force Recommendations, Mauritius has in place high AML/CFT framework. By setting up their Funds in this jurisdiction, Africa-focused fund managers can ensure they tick the box in terms of compliance and regulatory requirements.
This article is provided for information purposes only. It is not intended to provide, and should not be used for, tax or legal advice. We may put you in contact with tax and legal advisers in this regard.
Although all information and opinions contained herein have been compiled from sources believed to be reliable and trustworthy, no representation or warranty, express or implied, is made as to their accuracy or completeness, and, to the extent permitted by law, Sunibel Corporate Services Ltd (“Sunibel”), its members, employees and agents do not accept or assume any liability, responsibility or duty of care for any consequences of you or anyone else acting, or refraining to act, in reliance on the information contained in the article or for any decision based on it. You should not act upon the information contained in this publication without obtaining specific professional advice.
Sunibel accepts no liability for any direct or indirect damage resulting from the use and reliance on the information published in this article.
For more information, please see our terms and conditions.
Book your meeting
Error: Contact form not found.